DETROIT (AP) — Wayne State University has installed banners in its football stadium recognizing all 3,500 recipients of America’s highest military honor.
The Detroit school announced Tuesday the banners bearing the names of Medal of Honor recipients include Robert Simanek, a 1958 Wayne State graduate who received the medal in 1953. He attended a recent Department of Athletics Academic Recognition Luncheon.
The banners continue an effort by the university’s athletic department to pay tribute to Medal of Honor recipients.
Last fall, it unveiled football uniforms with the last name of a medal recipient. All school teams have been featuring an apparel item with patches representing medal honorees as well as the 100th anniversary of university athletics.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI searched Trump's home in part to look for nuclear documents, sources say
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- A dog was missing. Cavers found her two months later 500 feet underground
- Man who tried to breach FBI office killed after standoff
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events