NEW ORLEANS (AP) — With the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina approaching, Wal-Mart is announcing a $25 million, five-year commitment to support disaster recovery efforts around the world.
The corporation and its charitable foundation announced the plans Friday in New Orleans, part of more than a week’s worth of observances in the city and along the Gulf Coast.
Wal-Mart says in a news release that the commitment includes an initial $500,000 in grants to nonprofits in the Gulf Coast region.
Details of the plan to fund recovery efforts will be discussed at a Friday afternoon forum on Katrina. Participants will include New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and New Orleans-born musician Harry Connick Jr.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI says it interviewed FedEx mass shooter last year
- 2 women busted for trying to use a $1M bill — at a Dollar General store
- Vaccine etiquette: A guide to politely navigating this new phase of the pandemic
- Beloved N.C. teacher's double life revealed after he dies in cartel robbery, sheriff says
- Sydney man finds snake in lettuce bought at supermarket