RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring is pushing to make “domestic terrorism” a state crime in response to a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last year.
The Daily Press reports that Herring and Democratic Del. Marcia Price are pushing for legislation that would define domestic terrorism as a violent or criminal act aimed at intimidating someone based on race, religious or other factors.
The legislation would also require the state police to identify and “designate domestic terrorist organizations” and assign penalties for helping those groups or participating in them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- Confusion, then prayer, in cockpit of doomed Lion Air jet
- Italy: Bus driver abducts 51 children, sets vehicle on fire
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Wealthy parents in admissions scandal under intense pressure to make deals. Here's why
Information from: Daily Press, http://www.dailypress.com/