RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring is pushing to make “domestic terrorism” a state crime in response to a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last year.
The Daily Press reports that Herring and Democratic Del. Marcia Price are pushing for legislation that would define domestic terrorism as a violent or criminal act aimed at intimidating someone based on race, religious or other factors.
The legislation would also require the state police to identify and “designate domestic terrorist organizations” and assign penalties for helping those groups or participating in them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
Information from: Daily Press, http://www.dailypress.com/