VENTURA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a Ventura woman accused of stabbing her aunt to death in 2009 has pleaded guilty.
The Ventura County Star reports 51-year-old Gina Drake pleaded guilty Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter after reaching an agreement with Ventura County prosecutors.
Drake was arrested in May 2012 and was initially charged with murder. Authorities say Drake killed 61-year-old Wendy DiRodio, who was found dead in her locked parents’ home in June 2009.
Senior Deputy District Attorney Rameen Minoui says prosecutors accepted the lesser plea after re-examining the strength of the case when new information surfaced.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- COVID-19 tests: Different types and when to use them
Minoui says Drake is still being held accountable for the death and will serve time in prison.
Drake’s attorneys did not return the newspaper’s messages seeking comment.
Drake is scheduled to be sentenced next month.
Information from: Ventura County Star, http://venturacountystar.com