CENTREVILLE, Va. (AP) — A northern Virginia man is facing criminal charges after authorities say he pointed a laser at a police helicopter.
Fairfax County Police on Tuesday announced charges against 45-year-old Carlos Zapata Rivero of Centreville.
According to police, their helicopter, Fairfax One, was returning to its hangar Saturday night when it was hit multiple times by a blue laser.
The helicopter crew used an infrared camera to identify the vehicle where the laser was originating.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Texas church criticized for its take on ‘Hamilton’
Zapata Rivero is charged with shining a laser at an aircraft, a misdemeanor in Virginia.