PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona utility regulator Tom Forese says he’s dropping out of the race for state treasurer.
The Arizona Corporation Commission member has been seeking the seat for more than a year but announced his withdrawal Thursday. He was facing state Sen. Kimberly Yee in August’s Republican primary.
Forese said he decided to step aside after Gov. Doug Ducey appointed Eileen Klein to the treasurer’s post on Tuesday to replace Jeff DeWit. He resigned to become chief financial officer at NASA. Klein said she does not plan to run for the seat.
Forese said he ran to ensure the office was in good hands and it is with Klein. He also won’t seek re-election to the commission.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scary statistic: 90.5 percent of world's plastic is not recycled
- Judge delays Flynn sentencing, 'not hiding disgust' at crime WATCH
- A Paradise fire cleanup crew joked about ruins and a charred cat. Then the town found out.
- 'Republicans will never stop': Obama rips GOP after Affordable Care Act is ruled unconstitutional
- Retired Army general set to be tried on charges of abusing daughter
State Rep. Mark Cardenas and attorney Mark Manoil are seeking the Democratic nomination.