PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona utility regulator Tom Forese says he’s dropping out of the race for state treasurer.
The Arizona Corporation Commission member has been seeking the seat for more than a year but announced his withdrawal Thursday. He was facing state Sen. Kimberly Yee in August’s Republican primary.
Forese said he decided to step aside after Gov. Doug Ducey appointed Eileen Klein to the treasurer’s post on Tuesday to replace Jeff DeWit. He resigned to become chief financial officer at NASA. Klein said she does not plan to run for the seat.
Forese said he ran to ensure the office was in good hands and it is with Klein. He also won’t seek re-election to the commission.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
State Rep. Mark Cardenas and attorney Mark Manoil are seeking the Democratic nomination.