SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah high school students are planning to march on the Utah Capitol in support of gun control.
The Salt Lake Tribune reports the event planned for March 24 takes a cue from students marching on the Florida state capital after surviving a school shooting that killed 17 people as part of a national campaign called March For Our Lives.
More than a dozen students from Utah high schools who connected online after the Florida shooting met to plan the march on Monday. They’re calling for steps like a ban on assault-style weapons, an expansion of background checks and other restrictions on gun ownership as well as more study of gun deaths.
Brighton High School senior Isaac Reese says news of school shootings are becoming sadly routine for his generation, but teens should never have to become desensitized to them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- Sanders goes on offensive defending credibility after report
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- A portrait of the White House and its culture of chaos, dishonesty VIEW
- Easter Sunday bomb blasts kill more than 200 in Sri Lanka VIEW