SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Some Utah Republicans dismayed by President Donald Trump and the nomination of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore have formed a new group called Character First which says it will call out party members for moral and ethical failings.
Group organizer Sven Wilson told the Deseret News that he feels there’s “a crisis of character” in the Republican party. His group Character First is asking Utah GOP delegates and others to sign an online pledge saying they’ll only support candidates who uphold honesty, kindness, civility and other values in their public and private lives.
Wilson says the group is concerned about Trump’s “fundamental character issues” and was disheartened by allegations of sexual misconduct involving Moore, among other politicians.
Utah GOP Chairman Rob Anderson says he doesn’t know enough about the group to say if he’s sign their pledge.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie attacked on lecture stage in New York
- FBI searched Trump's home in part to look for nuclear documents, sources say
- A child abductee's journey back
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- A dog was missing. Cavers found her two months later 500 feet underground
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com