OGDEN, Utah (AP) — Officials say a mountain road northeast of Salt Lake City is opening about a month early but another Utah alpine highway will remain closed.
The Standard-Examiner reports the Utah Department of Transportation opened State Road 65 to East Canyon Reservoir on Friday.
The Big Mountain Highway that’s often used by outdoor recreation enthusiasts will likely remain open until fall.
Department spokesman Vic Saunders says the road is opening early because winter weather was mild for the area.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- As risk of nuclear war grows, study warns even a limited exchange would doom billions
Saunders says State Road 39 will remain closed until the snowy conditions clear. The Monte Cristo Highway connects Huntsville to Woodruff.
Both roads typically open in the spring after winter weather has subsided.
Information from: Standard-Examiner, http://www.standard.net