NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Police in Virginia say a Utah man has been charged with fatally shooting a schoolteacher in Norfolk on New Year’s Eve.
Norfolk Police said in a statement Wednesday that 70-year-old Edward Shaw of Sevier, Utah, was charged with second-degree murder in the death of 50-year-old Caroline M. Hendrix.
Officers say Hendrix was shot about 8 p.m. Sunday in her car. She died at a local hospital.
Investigators say about an hour later, police found Shaw in his car, suffering from gunshot wounds about seven miles (11 kilometers) away.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry,’ Alex Jones tells Sandy Hook families in court
- 10 tips for coexisting with COVID (and living a normal-ish life)
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- Career prosecutors recommend no charges for Gaetz in sex-trafficking probe
Authorities say Shaw, who was taken to a hospital, told police he was shot near where he was found in a road rage incident.
Investigators say there was no road rage incident.
Online court records don’t list a lawyer for Shaw.