VIENNA (AP) — Perhaps she was out looking for Santa.
A 3-year-old American girl wandered away from her family’s hotel in Salzburg, Austria, around midnight Christmas Eve and investigated the city streets on her own, wearing only a nightshirt and socks.
A receptionist at another hotel brought her inside. Police guessed she was a tourist but had to scour local hotels for an hour before identifying the likely family.
Awakened by phone, the girl’s grandmother and mother were startled to find her missing. Police said in a news release she apparently managed to open the hotel room door herself.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- ‘A total failure’: The Proud Boys now mock Trump
- The woman behind Michelle Obama's instantly iconic hair
- Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86
- The final U.S. county to get COVID-19? A remote Hawaiian outpost and former leper colony
The grandmother and mother picked the small night wanderer up at 1 a.m. at the police station, where she was sleeping peacefully on a sofa.