DOUGLAS, Ariz. (AP) — A man who escaped from a Mexican prison is back in custody after being found and arrested by U.S. Border Patrol agents in southern Arizona.
Federal officials say the fugitive from Sonora, Mexico —39-year-old Larry Palomarez-Chavez — was handed over to Mexican authorities on Friday.
Agents patrolling east of Douglas encountered a group of six Mexican nationals who were suspected of entering the country illegally. During a records check, agents found that Palomarez had a criminal history in Mexico and an active warrant for his arrest for escaping in November.
Authorities say he was processed for immigration violations and turned over to Mexican authorities in Nogales.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Poll worker fired for turning away voters with BLM shirts
- Trump taunts Lesley Stahl of ‘60 Minutes’ after cutting off interview
- Trump and Biden Will Be Muted for Parts of Their Next Debate
- AP finds most arrested in protests aren't leftist radicals
- Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh says his lung cancer is terminal
The others arrested with Palomarez were being processed for immigration violations.