LONDON (AP) — British investigators say a bundle of large party balloons almost caused a collision with a business jet shortly after take-off from London City Airport.
Britain’s airport safety investigators known as Airprox said Saturday that good fortune helped the Oct. 6 incident from turning into a disaster.
The Cessna private jet was climbing toward cruising altitude when one of the pilots spotted about 20 black and yellow balloons and shouted “watch out.”
Officials say the jet’s auto-pilot was disconnected and the crew maneuvered it to miss the large balloons.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
It was one of 15 near misses evaluated by the safety board at its monthly meeting.