LONDON (AP) — British investigators say a bundle of large party balloons almost caused a collision with a business jet shortly after take-off from London City Airport.
Britain’s airport safety investigators known as Airprox said Saturday that good fortune helped the Oct. 6 incident from turning into a disaster.
The Cessna private jet was climbing toward cruising altitude when one of the pilots spotted about 20 black and yellow balloons and shouted “watch out.”
Officials say the jet’s auto-pilot was disconnected and the crew maneuvered it to miss the large balloons.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- High-tech degrees and the price of an avocado: The data New York gave to Amazon
- Hungry bear goes for ride after getting stuck on trash truck
- Woman finds tiger in house, tells dispatch: 'I'm not lying' WATCH
It was one of 15 near misses evaluated by the safety board at its monthly meeting.