LONDON (AP) — A husband and wife convicted for conspiring to bomb civilian targets in London have been given hefty prison sentences.
Mohammed Rehman, 25, and his wife Sana Ahmed Khan, 24, were found guilty Tuesday and both received life sentences Wednesday. Rehman could be released after 27 years; Khan after 25.
Prosecutors say the couple sought to attack a subway train or shopping mall on the 10th anniversary of London’s July 7, 2005, bombings.
They say Rehman had been close to finishing a large bomb when arrested. Police found video footage of him detonating a smaller device in his backyard.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's what we know about the 'delta-plus' variant, already detected in U.S. and elsewhere
- Should I mask? Can I travel? What about hugs? How delta is changing advice for the vaccinated
- Passenger arrives taped to his seat after assault of 3 flight attendants
- Bill Gates says Epstein relationship was ‘a huge mistake’
- Virtually all emperor penguins may be pushed to brink of extinction, study finds
They said he used the cover name “Silent Bomber” to ask Twitter users to help select a target.
The 2005, four suicide bombers killed 52 people on subway trains and a bus.