COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Officials at the University of South Carolina are investigating who placed two flyers blaming black people for the election of Donald Trump as president over photos of historically important black South Carolinians.
Multiple media outlets report students found the flyers Tuesday, the day after the holiday honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. They were taped over a display case with a glass front outside the offices for the university’s African-American studies program.
Both signs say Trump was elected because black people voted for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the Democratic over Sen. Bernie Sanders. The signs refer to black people as “simpletons,” ”dumb” and “stupid monkeys.”
University spokesman Jeff Stensland says the flyers “have no place at Carolina.” He says university officials are investigating.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH