GRETNA, La. (AP) — Authorities say 8-year-old twin girls died in a fire at a Louisiana duplex.
Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Brant Thompson told news outlets that the twin girls and their first cousins were being cared for by their grandmother when the fire broke out in the Gretna home Sunday around 1:30 a.m.
Thompson says the other children, ages 4 and 5, escaped the fire unharmed with the help of the grandmother. The parents were away during the blaze, but Thompson says they returned while the fire was still active.
Officials say the fire started in the kitchen of the twin’s home, and that another house caught fire. Everyone in the second home escaped and were unharmed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Thompson says investigators suspect a faulty electrical component might have caused the blaze.