ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey’s state-run news agency says authorities have arrested a popular rap artist on charges of inciting drug use.
Anadolu Agency said 27-year-old Sercan Ipekcigolu, better-known as rapper “Ezhel,” was detained by narcotics police in Istanbul late Thursday and was later charged with encouraging the use of drugs.
Other media reports said the rapper could face a five-year prison term for encouraging the use of drugs in his song lyrics and video clips.
His arrest led to a social media campaign by supporters, with many users calling for his release using the hashtag “FreeEzhel.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.