ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey’s state-run news agency says a court has sentenced a man to life in prison for fatally stabbing a Syrian activist and her U.S.-born journalist daughter.
The bodies of 60-year-old Arouba Barakat and 23-year-old Halla Barakat were discovered in their home in Istanbul in September. Police later arrested a cousin, Ahmet Barakat, who prosecutors charged with murder.
Anadolu Agency said the Istanbul court on Tuesday convicted Barakat of murder and sentenced him to two life terms without parole.
Anadolu said that Barakat initially confessed to killing his cousins after a fight over money, but later denied involvement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sniffles? Cancer? Under Medicare plan, payments for office visits would be same for both
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- After a week of walkbacks, Trump returns to Russia doubting
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
He claimed during Tuesday’s hearing that he had been misled by an interpreter who told him he would get a light sentence if he confessed, according to Anadolu.