ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey’s state-run news agency says an employee at the office of a local Muslim cleric in eastern Turkey has opened fire at his colleagues, before turning the gun on himself in a failed suicide attempt. Two people were killed and five others — including the gunman — were wounded in the incident.
Anadolu Agency said the shooting took place in the town of Tercan, in Erzincan province, on Friday, as several employees at the local mufti’s office were holding a meeting.
The agency quoted officials as saying that the assailant, who had psychological problems, argued with some of his colleagues before shooting at them. He later tried to kill himself.
Anadolu said some of the wounded were in serious condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Florida man filming sunrise killed when sand dune collapses