WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is lashing out at British Prime Minister Theresa May in a dispute over his tweets. Problem is, he initially picked on the wrong Theresa May.
Trump was responding to May’s criticism of his decision to tweet anti-Muslim videos.
Online archives of Trump’s tweets show the president tweeted Wednesday night to a Twitter user with the handle @theresamay. That user is identified as a woman with a different last name who has only six followers.
That tweet was soon deleted and Trump sent a new message to May’s correct Twitter handle, @theresa_may. He told May not to focus on him and instead worry about “destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Norwegians spot Viking ship buried in the ground
- Key take-aways from special counsel Robert Mueller’s report
- Avenatti charged with trying to extort millions from Nike
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Dutch art sleuth recovers Picasso stolen 20 years ago
Associated Press Writer Patrick Mairs in Philadelphia contributed to this story.