WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has endorsed Republican congressman Ron DeSantis for Florida governor.
Trump tweeted Friday that DeSantis is “a brilliant young leader.”
DeSantis, who is 39, back in August proposed a time limit on funding for special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into potential collusion between Russia and Trump or his associates. DeSantis’s House website has a link to a column he signed on FoxNews.com.
Other Trump allies have tried to discredit Mueller and his team.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- WA, other West Coast states form pact committing to protect abortion access
- Supreme Court: The leaked abortion draft versus the opinion
Trump’s endorsement came as the president headed to his Florida estate for Christmas vacation.
The president’s backing could be a blow to Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, the current GOP front runner in the Florida gubernatorial race.