AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — President Donald Trump is calling Democratic Senate hopeful Beto O’Rourke names ahead of a trip to Texas to stump for O’Rourke’s Republican opponent, incumbent Ted Cruz.
Trump tweeted Wednesday “Beto is a flake” and that Cruz “has done so much for Texas,” including creating jobs and cutting taxes, but that “O’Rourke would blow it.”
That follows O’Rourke borrowing a Trump nickname for Cruz from when the two were 2016 Republican presidential rivals, calling the senator “Lyin’ Ted” during a debate Tuesday night in San Antonio.
Trump is traveling to Houston on Monday to rally for Cruz as O’Rourke has kept the race reasonably close, even in deeply conservative Texas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- 'Whoa, that's not right': Georgia towns lead census appeals
O’Rourke sharply criticized Cruz during the debate. On Wednesday, he unveiled negative attack ads, further breaking with his usual bipartisan and feelgood image.