MIAMI (AP) — Officials say Tropical Storm Helene is approaching islands off the western coast of Africa.
The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Saturday night that it expects Helene to produce tropical storm conditions for parts of the Cabo Verde Islands on Sunday.
As of 11 p.m. EDT, the storm was located about 155 miles (250 kilometers) southeast of the southernmost Cabo Verde Islands. The storm’s maximum sustained winds are 60 mph (95 kph) and it is moving west at 13 mph (20 kph).
Officials say heavy rainfall on the islands could produce life-threatening flash floods.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Complaint in Closs case could be road map for prosecution WATCH
- UK's May faces no-confidence vote after Brexit plan crushed WATCH
- Trump invokes one of the worst Native American massacres to mock Elizabeth Warren
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- At Trump’s inauguration, $10,000 for makeup and lots of room service VIEW
A tropical storm warning and hurricane watch are in effect for the Cabo Verde islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava.