MIAMI (AP) — A new tropical storm has formed in the eastern Atlantic off the western coast of Africa.
The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Friday night that Tropical Storm Helene was located about 405 miles (650 kilometers) east of the southernmost Cabo Verde Islands.
Forecasters expect the storm to bring tropical storm conditions to parts of the Cabo Verde Islands on Saturday night and Sunday. Officials say heavy rainfall on the islands could produce life-threatening flash floods.
The storm’s maximum sustained winds are 40 mph (65 kph) and it is moving west at 12 mph (19 kmh).
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Cosby in cuffs: TV star gets 3 to 10 years for sex assault VIEW
- Kavanaugh’s yearbook page is ‘horrible, hurtful’ to a woman it named
- 'How'd you find me?': Kavanaugh friend Mark Judge has been holed up in a beach house amid media firestorm
- Archaeologists discover 'massive' ancient building in Egypt VIEW
- Mormon women’s group aims call for probe of Kavanaugh allegations at LDS senators