LONDON, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky man has been fatally shot by deputies after authorities said he fired first at the officers.
Kentucky trooper Lloyd Cochran tells news outlets that Laurel County sheriff’s deputies were called to a home Sunday afternoon on reports of a man shooting a gun outside.
Responding deputies told 45-year-old Anthony S. McDaniel to drop his weapon. Cochran says McDaniel refused, and shot at the officers, hitting a police cruiser. The deputies then opened fire and McDaniel was pronounced dead at the scene.
All the deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave while Kentucky State Police investigate. Additional details haven’t been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target