WHEATON, Ill. (AP) — A judge has found a suburban Chicago woman guilty of murder in the fatal stabbings of her 7-year-old son and a 5-year-old girl she was baby-sitting.
Elzbieta Plackowska (elz-BEE’-tah plah-KOW’-skuh) was found guilty Wednesday by DuPage County Judge Robert Miller after a bench trial.
Defense attorneys contended the 45-year-old Plackowska was suffering a psychotic break when she killed the children on Oct. 30, 2012, inside the girl’s home in Naperville.
During closing arguments, defense attorney Kristen Nedval said Plackowska loved the children and wouldn’t have killed them “if she knew what she was doing.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No'
- 6 drastic plans Trump is already promising for a second term
But State’s Attorney Bob Berlin referred to Plackowska’s comments to investigators following her arrest. She told them, “I’m not supposed to, but I have to.” Berlin said that indicated she knew what she was doing was wrong.