FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) — Prosecutors are seeking a trial in adult court for a teenager charged in the New Year’s Eve shooting deaths of his parents, his sister and a family friend in New Jersey.
The Asbury Park Press reports that the Monmouth County prosecutor’s office said in denying access to government records that the case against the 16-year-old “remains under investigation and is pending waiver to adult court.”
Authorities say 42-year-old Steven Kologi and 44-year-old Linda Kologi were killed in their Long Branch home along with their 18-year-old daughter, Brittany, and 70-year-old Mary Schulz. Three people escaped the home unharmed.
Prosecutors allege that the teenager shot the victims at close range with a semi-automatic rifle. The case is currently in juvenile court, where a judge has barred all attorneys from commenting.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine