MONTECITO, Calif. (AP) — Train service has been halted in the area of a deadly Southern California mudslide as boulders, debris and water cover the track.
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department says the main Union Pacific line running through Montecito has been blocked. Railroad spokesman Justin Jacobs says there have been several washouts along the line in the area left barren by the deadly Thomas fire.
Jacobs say crews are working to clear the track and some freight trains are being rerouted.
Amtrak says its Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight services and bus connections between Santa Barbara and Oxnard have been suspended and there isn’t any alternative transportation right now.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
Trains are still running north of Santa Barbara and south of Oxnard.