MONTECITO, Calif. (AP) — Train service has been halted in the area of a deadly Southern California mudslide as boulders, debris and water cover the track.
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department says the main Union Pacific line running through Montecito has been blocked. Railroad spokesman Justin Jacobs says there have been several washouts along the line in the area left barren by the deadly Thomas fire.
Jacobs say crews are working to clear the track and some freight trains are being rerouted.
Amtrak says its Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight services and bus connections between Santa Barbara and Oxnard have been suspended and there isn’t any alternative transportation right now.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Trump leads aggressive, all-out GOP drive to save Kavanaugh WATCH
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
Trains are still running north of Santa Barbara and south of Oxnard.