PITTSFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Police say a tow truck driver was killed when an SUV slammed into the rear of an empty school bus as he tended to the broken down vehicle in southeast Michigan.
State police said in a statement that two adults and three children in the SUV are in critical condition after the collision Tuesday morning along Interstate 94 in Pittsfield Township, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) southwest of Detroit.
Police say the tow truck driver, 42-year-old Nader Chehadi, was behind the school bus, which had stopped at the side of the road due to engine trouble when the crash happened. No students were on the bus.
Police are investigating the cause of the crash.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What a 'super' El Niño could mean for winter weather in the U.S.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, trailblazer and champion of liberal priorities, dies at age 90
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Plane that crashed, killing Rep. Peltola's husband, had over 500 pounds of meat and antlers on board
- Proud Boy who disappeared ahead of his Jan. 6 sentencing was found unconscious by agents at his home