WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will visit China this week to discuss President Donald Trump’s planned travel to the region and North Korea.
The State Department says Tillerson heads to Beijing on Thursday. His talks with senior Chinese leaders will also cover trade and investment.
It will be Tillerson’s second visit to China and comes amid escalating tensions between the U.S. and North Korea. Tillerson went for the first time to Beijing in March.
The department says that the visit reaffirms the Trump administration’s commitment to enhance U.S. economic and security interests in the Asia-Pacific region.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks
Trump is expected to travel to the region this fall.