TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The Toledo Zoo says its 4-year-old female Masai giraffe has died.
The zoo says keepers found the giraffe down and unable to get up on Thursday.
Veterinarian Dr. Kristen Thomas says the zoo euthanized the giraffe after several unsuccessful attempts to get her up.
The giraffe named Bahati had been battling health concerns for months.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- 3 babies, 2 adults stabbed at home that police suspect was a ‘birth tourism’ site
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
Thomas says she had an unknown issue in her mouth that caused swelling, drooling and muscle loss.
Thomas says it’s not clear if the mouth issue played a part in why she went down. A necropsy has been planned to determine the cause of death.