TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The Toledo Zoo says its 4-year-old female Masai giraffe has died.
The zoo says keepers found the giraffe down and unable to get up on Thursday.
Veterinarian Dr. Kristen Thomas says the zoo euthanized the giraffe after several unsuccessful attempts to get her up.
The giraffe named Bahati had been battling health concerns for months.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump said he thinks 'the people would revolt' if he were impeached
- 'Dirty deeds': Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen gets 3 years in prison
- As probe closes in, Trump distances himself from Cohen
- Delta says no more support kittens, puppies on flights
- Amazon executives grilled, jeered at New York City Council hearing
Thomas says she had an unknown issue in her mouth that caused swelling, drooling and muscle loss.
Thomas says it’s not clear if the mouth issue played a part in why she went down. A necropsy has been planned to determine the cause of death.