TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The Toledo Zoo says its 4-year-old female Masai giraffe has died.
The zoo says keepers found the giraffe down and unable to get up on Thursday.
Veterinarian Dr. Kristen Thomas says the zoo euthanized the giraffe after several unsuccessful attempts to get her up.
The giraffe named Bahati had been battling health concerns for months.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Court: Sotomayor shoulder injury worse than first thought
- Student says Confederate flag theft sparked protests
- Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
- Paul Allen's team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943 VIEW
- The gaping hole in Sean Hannity's story about being Michael Cohen's client | Analysis
Thomas says she had an unknown issue in her mouth that caused swelling, drooling and muscle loss.
Thomas says it’s not clear if the mouth issue played a part in why she went down. A necropsy has been planned to determine the cause of death.