SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say a toddler was tossed to safety from the second floor of a burning apartment in Springfield, Oregon.
Battalion Chief Lance Lighty says two men saw the fire across the street from where they were working Tuesday morning.
After calling 911, they heard screaming and found a family of five trapped on the second floor. The family tossed the toddler from the window, and the men caught her. The rest of the family then lowered themselves and a dog from the window.
The men awoke another 10 people by yelling and banging on doors.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- 'Manholes' are out as Berkeley removes gender-specific language from city code
- California officers reunite 250-pound tortoise with owners
- Nesting penguins can't resist lure of New Zealand sushi shop
- Plan to slow Western wildfires would clear strips of land
The fire is under investigation.
The Red Cross is assisting the 15 people displaced.