SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say a toddler was tossed to safety from the second floor of a burning apartment in Springfield, Oregon.
Battalion Chief Lance Lighty says two men saw the fire across the street from where they were working Tuesday morning.
After calling 911, they heard screaming and found a family of five trapped on the second floor. The family tossed the toddler from the window, and the men caught her. The rest of the family then lowered themselves and a dog from the window.
The men awoke another 10 people by yelling and banging on doors.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fuller picture emerges of viral video encounter between Native American and Catholic students
- 9 brains, 3 hearts: Some wild facts about octopuses
- Trump says he directed Sarah Sanders 'not to bother' with White House news briefings
- Trump wants to deliver State of Union next week as planned VIEW
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
The fire is under investigation.
The Red Cross is assisting the 15 people displaced.