LAS VEGAS (AP) — Thousands of anti-gun protesters flooded the streets of Nevada’s largest cities Saturday, including downtown Las Vegas where marchers weren’t far from the site of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history last year.
In Las Vegas, demonstrators started the March for Our Lives rally at the Smith Center concert hall and then walked to City Hall, led by several students banging on drums.
Many at the event held up signs and their fists chanting “Enough is enough.” Survivors the Oct. 1 shooting at a country music festival on the Vegas Strip that killed 58 people were also in the crowd.
The student organizers said they were inspired by high school students in Parkland, Florida, where a shooting killed 17 people.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
“Why is this happening again? Why does this continue to happen?” asked Lauryn Tsai, an 18-year-old Clark High School senior and participant in the Las Vegas demonstration.
“Congress really needs to take action to make sure that this never happens again,” Tsai told KSNV-TV . “Enough is enough.”
In northern Nevada, an estimated 1,000 or more people participated in a march and rally in Reno. Demonstrators started at the Bruce R. Thompson Federal Building and ended at the Believe Plaza.
“We have school shootings all too often,” Reno High School student Ben Nebesky told the crowd, the Reno Gazette Journal reported . “And if we’re calling them ‘national tragedies,’ then don’t you think there should be a national response from our government?”