ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — A third defendant has pleaded guilty to participating in a double homicide in St. Joseph.
Raymond Jimenez-Bencebi Jr. pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder in the July 2016 deaths of 25-year-old Raymond Ortiz and 22-year-old Kevin Melendez in a rolling gun fight in St. Joseph.
Two other men earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, after agreeing to testify against the other defendants.
The St .Joseph News-Press reports two other defendants, Omar Martinez-Velez and Luis Omar Robles-Vargas, had been charged with second-degree murder but prosecutors say they will now file charges of first-degree murder against the men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- George Conway, husband of Trump aide, would rather 'move to Australia' than vote for president again
The newspaper has reported that court documents indicate the shootings were likely part of a turf war between rival gangs.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press/St. Joe, Missouri, http://www.newspressnow.com