ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — A third defendant has pleaded guilty to participating in a double homicide in St. Joseph.
Raymond Jimenez-Bencebi Jr. pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder in the July 2016 deaths of 25-year-old Raymond Ortiz and 22-year-old Kevin Melendez in a rolling gun fight in St. Joseph.
Two other men earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, after agreeing to testify against the other defendants.
The St .Joseph News-Press reports two other defendants, Omar Martinez-Velez and Luis Omar Robles-Vargas, had been charged with second-degree murder but prosecutors say they will now file charges of first-degree murder against the men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
The newspaper has reported that court documents indicate the shootings were likely part of a turf war between rival gangs.
Information from: St. Joseph News-Press/St. Joe, Missouri, http://www.newspressnow.com