CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the fatal shootings of a 19-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman by Chicago police (all times local):
A father of one of two people fatally shot by Chicago police has sued the city.
A lawyer filed the wrongful death lawsuit Monday in Cook County Circuit Court on behalf of Antonio LeGrier.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How could police have mistaken a gun for a Taser in Daunte Wright's death?
- Americans may be able to travel to Europe again this summer. Their hosts may not be vaccinated.
- Walgreens not following U.S. guidance on Pfizer vaccine spacing
- Essential, invisible: COVID has 200,000 merchant sailors stuck at sea
- Cop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
Police on Saturday shot his son, 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier, and a neighbor who lived in the same building, 55-year-old Bettie Jones.
Police have said they were responding to a domestic dispute and that Jones was accidentally hit by gunfire.
The lawsuit says Quintonio LeGrier never had a weapon and did nothing to suggest he was a threat before police opened fire.
The civil suit also alleges police forced the father to go immediately to a police station to answer questions as his son was dying.
Among other things, the suit claims there’s video of at least some of the incident as it unfolded.
A spokesman for the city’s law department declined comment.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is returning from his family vacation in Cuba to address the latest crisis involving the Chicago Police Department.
Emanuel’s office said Monday the mayor is “cutting his family trip short” and will be back in Chicago on Tuesday afternoon.
Spokeswoman Kelley Quinn says in a statement that the mayor plans to “continue the ongoing work of restoring accountability and trust in the Chicago Police Department.”
The department already was under investigation by the Justice Department when police on Saturday shot and killed two people. They said 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier was being “combative” toward officers before he was shot.
Police said 55-year-old Bettie Jones was accidentally hit by gunfire.
Emanuel has been the target of heavy criticism and calls for his resignation since the city last month released video footage of a white officer shooting a black teenager 16 times.
Chicago police say they’re not releasing additional information about a weekend shooting in which police killed two people.
A spokeswoman said Monday the department couldn’t comment beyond a statement issued Sunday because the shooting is under investigation.
Police acknowledged in the statement that 55-year-old Bettie Jones was accidentally hit by gunfire as officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance early Saturday.
They said 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier was “combative” toward officers before he was shot.
LeGrier’s father, Antonio LeGrier, told the Chicago Sun-Times his son appeared to be a “little agitated” and later tried to bust open his door, prompting him to call police. He said Jones, who lived downstairs, told him Quintonio LeGrier had a baseball bat.
Chicago police won’t say how many officers fired their weapons or what LeGrier or Jones were doing before police shot them.
Chicago’s interim police superintendent says a review of the department’s crisis intervention training will begin early this week, after officers fatally shot two people while responding to a domestic disturbance.
John Escalante says his team will meet with the city’s Independent Police Review Authority to evaluate current training and make necessary changes.
Nineteen-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and a neighbor, 55-year-old Bettie Jones, were killed early Saturday after LeGrier’s father called police about his son.
The department said in a statement that officers “were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon.” They said Jones was hit accidentally by the gunfire.
The shooting occurred just weeks after the Department of Justice opened a civil rights investigation of the Chicago Police Department.
Both LeGrier and Jones were black.