HOUSTON (AP) — A relative says a 14-year-old boy has died after encountering a rare amoeba while swimming in a lake north of Houston.
Michael Riley Jr.’s family says he developed a headache and became disoriented after swimming with his cross country team Aug. 13.
The incoming high school freshman was diagnosed with Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (men-ingo-in-SEPHALITE-us). The amoeba entered his nasal passages and made its way into his brain.
Riley’s cousin Jennifer Hohman said in a statement Sunday he was taken to Texas Children’s Hospital and placed in a medically induced coma until tests proved he had lost all brain function and couldn’t breathe without support.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How could police have mistaken a gun for a Taser in Daunte Wright's death?
- Americans may be able to travel to Europe again this summer. Their hosts may not be vaccinated.
- Walgreens not following U.S. guidance on Pfizer vaccine spacing
- Essential, invisible: COVID has 200,000 merchant sailors stuck at sea
- Cop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
The hospital disconnected the ventilator Sunday. Hohman confirmed that he died.
Health officials say the amoeba infected 35 people in the U.S. between 2005 and 2014.