LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — A Texas man has pleaded has pleaded guilty to heroin and methamphetamine trafficking charges in New Mexico.
Prosecutors say 38-year-old Jesus Gerardo Prieto Jr. of El Paso appeared Monday in federal court in Las Cruces.
Prieto was arrested in October 2017 at the checkpoint in Las Cruces by U.S. Border Patrol agents who seized more than 430 grams of methamphetamine and nearly 120 grams of heroin that were concealed inside Prieto’s vehicle.
He was subsequently charged in a five-count indictment last month.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Should you be worried about infection from eye drops?
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Sorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apology
- Chinese balloon soars across US; Blinken scraps Beijing trip
Prosecutors say Prieto pleaded guilty to the indictment without the benefit of a plea agreement.
They say Prieto faces a sentence of at least 10 years in prison and could get a life term.
Prieto remains in custody pending a sentencing hearing, which has yet to be scheduled.