GREENSBURG, Pa. (AP) — Testimony has started in the trial of a man charged in the 2015 shooting death of a western Pennsylvania police officer.
Jurors on Thursday heard recordings of police dispatches that led up to the fatal shooting of 54-year-old St. Clair Township officer Lloyd Reed Jr. He died in an exchange of gunfire after responding to a November 2015 domestic disturbance call.
The accused gunman, 33-year-old Ray Shetler Jr., is charged with first-degree murder. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against the New Florence resident if he’s convicted of that count.
In his opening statement, defense attorney Mark Daffner said Shetler was defending himself when he fired shots. The defense claims Reed fired first and that Shetler only returned fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23