LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a Tesla sedan in Autopilot mode has crashed into a parked police cruiser in Southern California.
Police Sgt. Jim Cota says the officer was not in the cruiser during the crash Tuesday in Laguna Beach. He says the Tesla driver suffered minor injuries.
The police SUV ended up with its two passenger-side wheels on a sidewalk.
Tesla’s semi-autonomous Autopilot mode has come under scrutiny following other recent crashes. The carmaker says the function is not designed to avoid a collision and warns drivers not to rely on it entirely.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Man known for duping sexual predators online killed in confrontation
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Two people killed by grizzly bear at Banff National Park in Canada
- Bedbugs torment Paris ahead of 2024 Olympics: 'No one is safe'
- McCarthy to face far-right attempt to oust him as House speaker