MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A grand jury in Tennessee has indicted a man on a first-degree murder charge in the death of his 3-year-old son last summer.
Shelby County District Attorney Amy Weirich’s office said the grand jury also charged 26-year-old Cortez Wilkerson of Memphis with aggravated child neglect, aggravated child endangerment and aggravated child abuse.
Wilkerson is charged in the death of Kash Sharp. Memphis police were called to an apartment on July 8 and found the boy with a gunshot wound to the forehead. The prosecutor’s office said he was pronounced dead a short time later at a hospital.
Investigators said Wilkerson gave different accounts of the shooting that weren’t supported by evidence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle
An attorney for Wilkerson did not immediately return a call seeking comment.