ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (AP) — An East Tennessee sheriff says a deputy and a woman have been injured in a shooting and the suspect has been taken into custody.
Carter County Sheriff Dexter Lunceford told news outlets that the deputy, Jenna Markland, was shot twice in the face and was expected to recover. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says both victims are hospitalized in stable condition.
Lunceford says he and three deputies responded to a call Wednesday evening reporting a drunken man waving around a gun. He says he arrived and got the man’s family out of the residence, but when other deputies arrived, the suspect began firing toward them. He says he and the others returned fire.
The TBI said in a statement that 39-year-old Kelly Lee Pitts has been charged with seven counts of attempted murder.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- People dumped their pets into lakes, officials say. Now football-size goldfish are taking over.
- Free money for all? Mayors hope local tests bring big change
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events