CHILLICOTHE, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say the body of an 18-year-old high school student has been found in a creek at a southern Ohio nature preserve.
The Ross County Sheriff’s Office says Randon Cochran’s body was found Monday evening in Paint Creek about 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) from where he went into the water early Sunday while camping with friends on an island at Buzzard’s Roost Nature Preserve.
Authorities began searching for Cochran after receiving a 911 call shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday.
Cochran was a student at the Pickaway-Ross Career & Technology Center High School. Superintendent Dennis Franks says the school has made counselors available for students.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Body of missing famed U.S. extreme skier recovered in Nepal
- Fact check: The false claim that Senate GOP seeks ‘to end Social Security and Medicare’
- ‘Giant backfire’: Trump’s demand for special master is looking like a mistake
- U.S. mountaineer’s body found two days after avalanche on peak in Nepal
- Ian swamps southwest Florida, trapping people in homes
The nature preserve is roughly 53 miles (85 kilometers) south of downtown Columbus.