NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — Officials say a teenage student who was shot at a bus stop is recovering at a hospital in Virginia.
Newport News police spokesman Randal Bailey tells the Daily Press the 15-year-old boy was standing at the bus stop Monday morning when someone in a red SUV started shooting. Police tell WVEC-TV that arriving officers found the boy with a gunshot wound to his leg.
Bailey says his injury was not considered life-threatening.
Michelle Price with Newport News Public Schools told WVEC-TV in a statement that officials will work with police to help identify who was responsible for the incident. Price also says counselors will be available to students.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Further details were not reported.