MIAMI (AP) — A Miami teen who pleaded guilty to killing his mother and throwing a party while her body was still inside the home will spend 28 years in prison.
The Miami Herald (http://tinyurl.com/qa7ccjr) reports Kit Darrant pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the 2012 slaying of Renette Emile, 35.
Prosecutors say the then 16-year-old student got into an argument with his mother, strangled her and stabbed her more than 100 times with a butcher knife. Police say Darrant covered her body up with sheets and sprinkled laundry detergent over it to cover the smell as he skipped school and partied.
Court documents show Darrant struggled with mental illness and spent time in a hospital at one point after jumping out of a moving car and daring oncoming traffic to hit him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- A humpback whale swallowed a lobster diver whole and spit him out alive: 'It tried to eat me'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- In California, the rapid creation of possibly the coolest new high school in America
- Va. couple first to plead guilty to misdemeanors only in Capitol riot, but will they get prison time?
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com