SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Airport officials say they caught a teenager hiding “in or around” the wheel well of an airplane parked at a Salt Lake City hangar.
Authorities say the 16-year-old boy ran from police and jumped an airfield fence Thursday after they tried to pull him over in a stolen car. Authorities searched for the teen overnight.
An airplane mechanic inspecting a plane Friday spotted the teenager in the regional jet’s wheel well.
Salt Lake City International Airport spokeswoman Nancy Volmer says the teen was found at a maintenance hangar northwest of the main airport terminal and taken into custody.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A single word sparks a crossfire between the Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- 'Whoa, that's not right': Georgia towns lead census appeals
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
A second 16-year-old who had been riding in the stolen car is being held in juvenile detention.