LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — A high school teacher in a small West Texas town has been sentenced to almost 16 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to enticing a 16-year-old male student.
A federal judge in Lubbock, Texas, sentenced Shonna Lynn Calaway on Friday to 15 years and eight months in prison.
The 48-year-old high school teacher at Motley County School in Matador, Texas, admitted that she used sexually explicit photos on a Snapchat application to entice the 16-year-old sophomore into a sexual episode in December 2016.
Motley County School had an early elementary-to-high school enrollment of 159 in October. 2016. Matador, a town of about 520 residents, is about 70 miles (113 kilometers) northeast of Lubbock, Texas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- High-tech degrees and the price of an avocado: The data New York gave to Amazon
- Bombshell book alleges a Vatican gay subculture, hypocrisy