TUNNEL HILL, Ga. (AP) — A northwest Georgia high school teacher is accused of possessing heroin on campus and having a yearlong sexual relationship with a student.
News outlets report 28-year-old Raquel Eleana Spencer was arrested Wednesday when a school resource officer found an illegal substance in her belongings at Northwest Whitfield High School. Whitfield County Schools spokesman Eric Beavers said the search was triggered by a report of unusual behavior.
Sheriff’s Office Capt. Paul Woods said Thursday that an investigation revealed Spencer had a sexual relationship with a student that began at least a year ago, when the student was a juvenile.
She’s charged with possession of heroin and sexual assault by persons with supervisory or disciplinary authority. Beavers said Spencer submitted her resignation Wednesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- Rare eagle seen in Maine, wowing birders, might stay a bit
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
It’s unclear whether she has a lawyer.