Police say a 20-year-old woman waiting to see New Year's fireworks at a Florida theme park was struck in the leg by a stray bullet fired from somewhere outside the park.
Police say a 20-year-old woman waiting to see New Year’s fireworks at a Florida theme park was struck in the leg by a stray bullet fired from somewhere outside the park.
Authorities say no one else was hurt in or around Busch Gardens and the injury wasn’t life-threatening.
Lt. John Preyer of the Tampa Police says Kaitlyn Jacobs of Seminole felt a sudden pain in her lower left leg 10 minutes before midnight, apparently the victim of a shot fired in celebration elsewhere.
Jacobs was treated at a hospital and released. She told the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/1ybh1uo ) that her injury was a “freak accident.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- The Earth is now trapping an 'unprecedented' amount of heat, NASA says
- GOP congressman refuses to shake hands with D.C. police officer who protected the Capitol on Jan. 6, lawmakers say
- US-Canada border restrictions extended until July 21
- Biden signs bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday
Park spokesman Travis Claytor told The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/1x9sIjU ) that the fireworks were delayed a few minutes but resumed once Jacobs was off park grounds.