Swedish prosecutors withdrew an arrest warrant for the founder of WikiLeaks on Saturday, saying less than a day after the document was issued that it was based on an unfounded accusation of rape.
STOCKHOLM — Swedish prosecutors withdrew an arrest warrant for the founder of WikiLeaks on Saturday, saying less than a day after the document was issued that it was based on an unfounded accusation of rape.
They said that for the moment Julian Assange remains suspected of the lesser crime of molestation in a separate case.
The accusations have been labeled a dirty trick by Assange and his group, who are preparing to release a fresh batch of classified U.S. documents from the Afghan war.
Swedish prosecutors had urged Assange — a nomadic 39-year-old Australian whose whereabouts were unclear — to turn himself in to police to face questioning in the case involving suspicions of rape and the other based on an accusation of molestation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Agency cancels Hawaii tsunami watch after huge Pacific quake
- California crash kills 13 of 25 people crammed into SUV
- Man accused of QAnon vandalism at 'America's Stonehenge'
- Gillibrand's responses to Cuomo and Franken scandals are starkly different
- Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett delivers 1st opinion
“I don’t think there is reason to suspect that he has committed rape,” Chief Prosecutor Eva Finne said, in announcing the withdrawal of the warrant.
Karin Rosander, a spokeswoman for the Swedish Prosecution Authority, said Assange remains suspected of molestation.
“The prosecutor hasn’t made a decision” on that count, Rosander said. “The investigation continues.”
Assange had dismissed the allegations in a statement on WikiLeaks’ Twitter page, saying “the charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing.”
He was in Sweden last week seeking legal protection for the whistle-blower website, which angered the Obama administration for publishing thousands of leaked documents about U.S. military activities in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The first files in WikiLeaks’ “Afghan War Diary” revealed classified military documents covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010. Assange said Wednesday that WikiLeaks plans to release a new batch of 15,000 documents from the Afghan war within weeks.
The Pentagon says the information could risk the lives of U.S. troops and their Afghan helpers and have demanded WikiLeaks return all leaked documents and remove them from the Internet.
Assange also spoke at a seminar hosted by the Christian faction of the opposition Social Democratic party and announced he would write bimonthly columns for a left-wing Swedish newspaper.