CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — Five defendants linked to the MS-13 gang have pleaded not guilty to an attempt to kidnap and murder a 16-year-old boy on Long Island.
Suffolk County prosecutors say the three known gang members and two MS-13 associates pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to conspiracy and attempted kidnapping. Four of the suspects are Brentwood High School students.
Prosecutors say the five were looking to elevate their status in the gang by carrying out a murder.
Undercover officers were in the Brentwood area earlier this month after receiving complaints that men in a van were harassing boys. The officers witnessed the attempted abduction and arrested the young men.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The 20-somethings who help the 70-somethings run Washington
- An excavation in the sea depths recovers Hercules from the afterlife
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
There have been 25 suspected MS-13 killings on Long Island in the past two years.